Monday, August 1, 2011

Get over it...

While cleaning out the basement and garage, I ran across some old letters and journals. They got me to thinking about how horrible family members can be to each other, but that they can get over it. Maybe not because of restitution or apologies, but time and distance. Hurt feelings can be left in the past. Material items are just that. When it comes right down to it, family is the most important thing in this world. I've put up with a lot from blood relatives and those by marriage over the years. Enough to make me feel suicidal as a teen and miserable at times throughout my life. It probably helps that I don't have to live with any of them now, but I get along just fine with some of the people who have hurt me most.
As I read over some things written years ago it brought up those feelings again of being the one to have others frustrations taken out on. I kept thinking about how "with age comes wisdom" and it is so true. Many hypocritical things in those letters and misplaced blame.
But family is family. We put up with so much more and can be hurt so much worse by the ones we love and the ones who supposedly love us.
"Sticks and stones..." But words do hurt.
"It's just stuff." But it was our stuff.
I just keeping telling myself..."Get over it."

1 comment:

Klin said...

Sometimes easier said than done, but a good rule to try to live by.

I see the power of hurtful words every day in my work.